The Deep Science Fund (DSF) is an evergreen invention development fund managed by Intellectual Ventures and founded on IV’s belief in the power of independent and unconventional approaches to solving problems. The Fund invests in ideas, inventions, and research from its intellectual property portfolio focusing on opportunities which have a long-term horizon and/or are higher scientific risk but which may have a significant or profound impact across multiple commercial areas. The Fund’s IP portfolio is both deep and broad with asset groups in advanced physics, chemistry, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, materials science, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and agriculture. The existing team has a long track record as technologists and as creators of successful products, startups and businesses.
The Deep Science Fund seeks a creative, action-oriented, self-directed scientist with a background in graphene, two-dimensional materials, solid-state physics, plasmonics, and/or meta-materials to serve as Team Leader of an effort to commercialize existing IP thru a rigorous clarification of the underlying science, creation of novel technology, and the development and execution of a strategy to take products to market thru appropriate pathways (startup spin out, joint venture, etc.).
The successful candidate will be a world-class scientist with a relevant technical background, have both a strong desire to lead their own commercial enterprise and the ability to define and create such an opportunity. Intellectual Ventures has a demonstrated track record of successful high-tech commercialization and the Deep Science Fund’s charter supports the timeline which will be necessary for the success of this endeavor. The position will report to the Deep Science Fund Head but will be located at a world-leading centre for two-dimensional materials in order to maximum scientific progress.
Reporting to the Head of the Deep Science Fund, the Graphene Lead will:
- Provide scientific and technical leadership and overall project vision
- Interface with the appropriate business development personnel within IV to help them define and quantify the potential business opportunities; work with the IV business team as they develop the appropriate business models
- Lead the filing of any relevant new intellectual property
- Develop and implement a plan for establishing the IV effort within the context of the international two dimensional materials science and business communities
- Create and manage a team of technologists and experts where some/all of their team may be virtual
- Be responsible for directing project budgeting and resource management
- Maintain project schedules, track key deliverables, progress toward milestones, timelines,
- resources, and costs; create and manage to risk mitigation and contingency strategies
- Work within the Fund Management and other project team within the Fund to coordinate budgets, resource allocation, and timelines to meet external deadlines
- Work with IV Legal to assist development of contracts, master service agreements, statements of work, and non-disclosure agreements with co-development partners and consultants
- Report regularly on project progress
- Coordinate and lead team meetings and stakeholder meetings
- Support quarterly founder reviews by ensuring on-time preparation and delivery of required pre-reads and presentations
Key Qualifications and Required Skills:
- PhD or advanced degree and relevant experience in graphene, two dimensional materials, physics, chemistry, materials science or related field; additional research/job experience after the PhD a plus; experience with both modeling and experimental work a strong plus
- Demonstrated or potential for world-class scientific leadership
- Experience or strong potential for leadership in a high-tech startup environment
- Sufficiently wide technical background to engage on technical basis with scientists, investigators, and investors regarding the progress, prospects, and issues for diverse projects.
- Proven ability to effectively optimize multiple priorities, work on multiple projects, and excel in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation skills, and negotiation skills
- Able to establish credibility quickly and act with the authority/confidence gained through experience
- Proactive self-starter with approachable, positive, can-do attitude
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results with cross-functional teams in a highly technical research environment
- Demonstrated poise, professionalism and confidence when communicating with and presenting to high-profile audiences
- Experience managing multiple projects and managing to goals and budgets
- Ability to work well with others and to quickly assimilate and understand information (including highly technical information)
- A champion of ideas who accepts disagreements with maturity and consistently acts with the best- interests of the business at heart
- Available for full-time work; willing to relocate; regular travel to IV may be required