The Graphene Flagship includes a Spintronics Work Package - the aims to explore graphene's role in spintronics. Last week the participants in this initiative met for the first time in an event organised by the Deputy Leader of the Spintronics Work Package, and hopefully these interesting projects will bear fruit soon.
- HiMagGraphene: Atomic-scale control of graphene magnetism using hydrogen atoms
- iSpinText: Induced Spin Textures in van der Waals Heterostructures
- SOgraph: Tailoring Spin-Orbit effects in Graphene for spin-orbitronic applications
- TAILSPIN: Tailoring spin-interactions in graphene nanoribbons for ballistic fully spin-polarized devices
- Trans2DTMD: Theoretical investigation of electronic transport in functionalized 2D transition metal dichalcogenides
Spintronics is "Spin based electronics". The idea is to use the electron's spin, as well as it's charge, to create logic and memory devices. Spintronics-based devices are very exciting due to their low-power and high-speed potential. Earlier this year Intel said that Spintronics is a leading candidate to become the dominant post-silicon computing architecture. If you want to stay on top of this exciting field, be sure to subscribe to our free Spintronics newsletter.